Common Questions and Answers
The following information is being provided as a guideline only. It does not cover all pertinent information and interested persons should refer to Township ordinances and consult with the Zoning Administrator or building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical inspectors for answers to their respective inquiries.
Still have questions? Feel free to contact us – email@example.com
or – call (616) 696-1718, Monday through Wednesday.
FAQ on animals, farm animals and pets
County Dog licenses are NOT available at the township. Many local veterinary clinics offer this service. You may all Cedar Animal Hospital at (616) 696-1212 or Kent County Animal Control (616) 632-7304.
Horses, cows, pigs or other large animals.
a. On lots or parcels greater than two acres there shall be permitted one horse, or one cow, or one pig, or other large animal for each acre in addition to the first two acres.
b. Where animals other than house pets of the owner or occupant of the premises are kept or allowed outside, a fence of such sufficient construction as to keep such animals from leaving the premises shall be provided and regularly maintained.
Dogs and other small animals
a. Dog problems are a civil matter and should be reported to animal control at Kent County Animal Shelter 616-336-3210
b. No more than three adult (six months of age or older) cats, dogs, or other similar household pets shall be kept at or housed in any one dwelling unit.
c. Any pen or building housing such animals shall be located at least fifty feet away from any property line.
d. On lots or parcels of one-half acre in area or less the raising and keeping fowl and or rabbits and or other small animals shall not exceed three per family. On lots or parcels larger than one -half acre in area, but less than two acres: the raising and keeping fowl and or rabbits and or other small animals shall not exceed a total of twelve such animals in any combination.
Building and zoning questions
Detached Accessory Buildings – Maximum floor area
a. on lots of less than 1 acre: 720 square feet
b. on lots of at least one but less than 2 acres: 960 square feet
c. on lots of at least 2 but less than 5 acres: no more than 2 buildings with combined area of 2,400 square feet
d. on lots of more than 5 acres: no more than 3 buildings with a combined area of 4000 square feet
Mobile Home Requirements
a. No single-wide mobile homes
b. Minimum size requirements 20’ x 43.2’ 864 square ft. minimum
c. 4” reinforced concrete slab
d. 42” frost wall around the perimeter of the slab
a. Minimum of 1 acre in AR-1 or 2 acres in AR-2 Zoning
b. 200’ road frontage
Solon Township Ordinance Books are available at the Township Office
a. Cost is $25.00
b. Township Ordinances may be viewed via an online PDF by clicking HERE Solon Township Compiled Zoning Ordinance. (requires Adobe Reader)
Questions about our rentable Community Room
The Solon Township community Room is available for rental by adult residents of our Township only. Please review the rules and check the following links for information:
Check Available Room Dates
Rent the Community Room
- The rental cost of $50.00 is payable immediately when the reservation is made.
- The security deposit shall be $150.00, which shall be paid on or before the access card to the Community Room is picked up. Payment must be paid by renter.
Rules Governing Use of Township Community Room
- Renter must be an adult resident of the Township. The Renter agrees to be present at the Community Room during the entire time the Community Room is being used.
- Rental is for allotted time only, which shall include set up and clean up. Set up and clean-up will not be on the day before or the day after. Exceptions may be authorized by the Township Supervisor or his/her representative.
- Room capacity is 250, seating capacity is limited to 125. The Township furnishes tables and chairs. The wooden meeting table cannot be moved and may be used for food service ONLY if covered with plastic.
DO NOT ALLOW YOUR PATRONS TO STAND OR SIT ON TABLES – THEY WILL COLLAPSE AND/OR BREAK!!
- Renter must supply all paper products, dishes, serving and eating utensils. A warming oven, refrigerator, and microwave oven are available for use.
- All chairs and round tables must be returned to storage location. Rectangular tables should be left out.
- Community Room, including kitchen, restrooms and entry areas must be cleaned and left in the same or better condition in which it was found. Stove, oven, microwave and refrigerator are to be wiped cleaned; all floors swept and damp mopped (with water and vinegar only) to remove all spills and tracks. Prints, smudges and dirt are to be cleaned from all glass surfaces (i.e. doors & windows).
- All trash must be deposited in the dumpster north of the building. INCLUDING BATHROOM TRASH!
- If minors are present during the rental period, the Renter shall provide a proper number of chaperones to be present and oversee the minors’ use of the premises while they are on Township property.
- The Township’s business offices and designated “non-public” areas are absolutely off limits, and the Renter shall ensure that no one enters into these areas.
- The Renter must conduct his or her function and use of the Community Room and associated Township property in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and the Renter is responsible for the conduct of all persons who enter the Township property during the rental period.
- The Renter acknowledges that he/she is aware that the Community Room and surrounding area (with the exception of the restrooms) are monitored by closed circuit recording devices.
- Smoking and the consumption of alcoholic beverages on the Township property, including the
Community Room, is strictly prohibited.
- No use of any flammable or hazardous material, including fireworks, is allowed on the Township property, including the Community Room.
- Hot objects, such as cookware or warming trays, shall not be placed directly on tables or counter tops.
- No tacks, adhesive material or tape is to be used on the walls. Non-marking poster putty may be used. No decorations with glitter are to be used in the community room.
- Absolutely nothing allowed to be attached to ceiling. Acoustic material is very fragile – and expensive.
- Renter will be held responsible for costs of emergency personnel response to false fire alarms.
Questions about our Community Room can be directed to:
Property tax and payment questions